Claim for Housing Disrepair

According to GOV.UK good practice guidance for social landlords, a high quality repairs service is a key element in the provision of good quality rented housing. Also it is an essential element in achieving high levels of tenant satisfaction, improving the landlord and tenant relationship and protecting health and safety.

As a tenant of any residential property whether it is a house or a flat you have certain rights. One of those rights is that the Council or Housing Association have a legal obligation to keep your home safe and in a reasonable state of repair. They also have a duty to make sure that any defects that you report to them are repaired in a timely manner. If your Landlord does not do that then you may have the right to claim some of your rent back in compensation.

Housing Disrepair Claims

Table of Contents

Share on facebook
Share on twitter

What are Housing Disrepair claims?

disrepair claim is a civil claim arising from the condition of residential premises and may include a related personal injury claim. Although most claims are brought by a tenant against their landlord, the Housing Disrepair Protocol is not limited to such claims.

How much compensation can you get for housing disrepair?


Please try our housing disrepair compensation calculator below which allows you to see what damages you may be entitled to receive due to your landlord’s failure to keep your home in a good state of repair.

What is classed as a Housing Disrepair?

Housing disrepair means a rented property that is in need of repair in order for it to be safe and suitable for tenants to live in.

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation, your landlord is required by law to ensure:

  • That the house you live in is in a good state of repair structurally
  • That your house is free from damp and mould
  • That your drains and gutters are clear and working as they should be
  • That you have a working heating system
  • That you have safe access to electricity, gas and water
  • That you have working sanitation facilities i.e. toilet, basins, sinks, etc.
  • That your home is free from vermin or insect infestation

In a house where repairs or works are needed, if the landlord fails to carry out the work within a reasonable amount of time after the issues are reported by you, then this could be considered housing disrepair.

Housing Disrepair Claim Checker

Fill in your details below to get your free Claim Check

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse on this website, you accept the use of cookies for the above purposes.